Frequently Asked Questions
How do I contact support?
Call 908-396-7111 for assistance. You may also check http://status.roundmountaingroup.com for system updates and realtime status.
How do I clear my DNS and/or browser cache?
- To clear your DNS cache please follow these instructions
- To clear your browser cache please follow these instructions.
- If issues persist, power cycle your router or modem.
- We have noted that CenturyLink is slow at updating their DNS compared to other ISP’s.
- Check the status of our servers and network at http://status.roundmountaingroup.com
- An excellent set of tools to debug network connections, obtain your IP address and check DNS settings can be found here.
An email I was sent is lost. How can I find it?
- Rule #1 – check your spam or trash folders for missing messages
- Almost all email issues are related to spam filtering, especially with email forwarding.
- Spam messages outnumber real messages by 10:1 prior to filtering,
- We use blacklists and heuristic filters to mitigate spam. Gmail in particular is often overzealous in spam detection. .
- RMG is held to strict rules regarding spam filtering by ISP’s we connect to like Comcast, CenturyLink and Google.
What is in Google Analytics and how do I use it?
Google Analytics is our Web Analytics and Statistics Provider. Google Analytics is FREE and provides direct, real time access to the following information:
- Audience Summary
- Hourly, Daily, Weekly, Monthly Usage Data
- Popular Pages
- Referrals (external sites linking to your site)
- Devices (mobile, desktop)
- Browser info
- Geographic (country, state, city)
- Demographic (age, gender)
- Search Results
- Realtime view of your site’s live data
In addition Google Analytics provides RMG with technical information which we use to tune the performance of our servers and your website.
Google Analytics is also easy to use. To access it, just follow the these steps:
- On request we can send a weekly or monthly Google Analytics summary email showing site usage
- Obtain a FREE Google account at https://accounts.google.com/signup
- Give us your Google account name and we will add it as an authorized user of our Google Analytics Data Warehouse
- Log into http://analytics.google.com with your Google ID to drill down into your data
- You MUST provide RMG with your valid Google ID so we can register you in our Google database.
- Call RMG for questions or help
How are Domains Handled?
We can register and manage your domain for a small annual fee. Or you can use a registrar like GoDaddy or Network Solutions. In most cases you will need to provide us access to your domain account since the modifications to make your website work are complex and must be error free. In general you must allow us to point your domain’s nameservers to our nameservers. Be sure you do not lose the credentials for self managed domains since restoring them can be expensive and time consuming.
Do You Support SSL/HTTPS Browsing?
SSL is implemented on all accounts/sites. SSL/HTTPS is being phased in across the web as the standard method for accessing websites. In late 2017-2018 Chrome and other browsers will mark non HTTPS sites as “NOT SECURE” as well as issuing other warnings to web users.
Is my site visible to the entire world?
No. We block inbound access to a number of countries responsible for the vast majority of malicious or superfluous traffic.
What browsers/clients are incompatible with SSL/HTTPS?
Several old, obsolete or unsupported client platforms do not support modern SSL implementations. Generally it is safe to click past any warning messages (certificate errors) although many of these clients deliver a degraded user experience. Windows XP and Vista are no longer supported by Microsoft, do not receive security updates and should be assumed to be compromised if connected to the Internet.
Unsupported clients include:
- Blackberry < v10.3.3
- Android < v2.3.6
- Nintendo 3DS
- Windows XP + Internet Explorer (IE)
- Java 7 < 7u111
- Java 8 < 8u101
- Windows Live Mail (2012 mail client, not webmail)
- PS3 game console
- PS4 game console with firmware < 5.00
Older Windows + IE configurations should be up to date with Microsoft updates and must support the DST Root CA X3 Certificate. You can check this in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Content
See this Microsoft KB Article for more information on manually applying mandatory updates to your stored certificate library if you had updates turned off.
If you have no choice but to remain on Windows XP, we recommend switching to the Chrome browser and insuring the system has Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed.
This info is provided for information only.
Do You Support Shopping Carts and Electronic Commerce?
Yes! We would be happy to work with clients who want to sell directly from their website. To insure PCI compliance we ONLY support certain payment gateways (PayPal and Authorize.Net Direct Post Method (DPM). What this means is that we will implement your e-commerce solution in such a way that financial information is ONLY transmitted to and from the end user and a trusted financial institution.
IMPORTANT: WEBSITE OWNERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ESTABLISHING AND MAINTAINING PCI COMPLIANCE.
How Do I Improve My Search Engine Rankings?
The fact is that there is an entire industry built around search engine ranking optimization. Anyone offering a quick fix or paid services to improve rankings is probably scamming you. Rankings are based on content quality, authority and good performance. We can provide a framework to support strong rankings and can coach and consult with you on how to improve them. In the end, it’s a matter of good design and adherence to the guidelines provided by the search engines themselves that will make the difference over the long haul.
Can I Have More Than One Domain Name Pointing to My Site
Yes, we support an unlimited number of parked domains, as well as subdomains or additional websites. Often, this is not a good idea however and frankly a very complicated topic. Ask our technical support team for assistance.